Hello Music Educator!
MYO, the Maine Youth Orchestra, is one of Maine's oldest youth orchestras, composed of talented middle and high school students. We are currently in our 46th year of supporting and training students in performing major symphonic works. Our annual enrollment currently ranges from 25 to 35 students. MYO is run by a volunteer board of directors. All of our fees and donations go directly to pay for music, scholarships to the members, performance venues and the conductor’s and coaches’ service fees. Acceptance in the group is by audition.
Our current conductor, Paul Ross, has retired this spring. Consequently, the MYO Board of Directors looking for conductors who want to be considered for this position. We plan to offer rehearsal conducting auditions beginning in the fall of 2018 and would like to make a final choice for a new permanent conductor by the spring of 2019. Aselection committee will interview candidates through this summer.
Our regular rehearsal and concert schedule normally goes from the first week of September for an early December concert. Then we break until the week after the students return from winter break and rehearse until our spring concert in early May. Tuesday evening from 6:15 to 8:15pm is our weekly rehearsal time.
The musical staff is composed of our conductor, two string coaches, and a winds/percussion coach. More information about our organization can be found on this site www.maineyouthorchestra.org.
If you are interested in being considered for this position please reply with a resume and cover letter to Maine Youth Orchestra, P.O.Box 40, Yarmouth, ME 04096 or email at MYO.ME1972@gmail.com. You may also contact us at 207-751-8031 with any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you.
MYO Board Chair
Maine Youth Orchestra (“MYO”)
Fall 2018-Spring 2019 Season
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with MYO’s sectional coach(es) and Board of Trustees to provide a non-competitive but disciplined, educational, and enriching experience for young musicians within commuting distance of Yarmouth, Maine.
• Co-ordinate with the Board of Trustees to schedule and administer auditions once in the fall and once (as necessary) in the spring during each MYO orchestral season.
• With the Board of Trustees, schedule the concert and event dates for the MYO orchestral season. These concerts and events may include a winter holiday concert, a spring concert, a joint concert, or various outreach and small ensemble performances.
• Attend Board of Trustee meeting at the beginning of the school year and as practical every other month thereafter.
• Rehearse weekly during the school year as published by the Greely School Academic Calendar and conduct concerts as scheduled by the Conductor and the Board of Trustees. [Note: If the Conductor is unable to attend a scheduled rehearsal or concert, the Conductor shall be responsible for finding a substitute who is acceptable to the Board of Trustees. Any compensation for a concert substitute shall be the Conductor’s sole responsibility.]
• Communicate with orchestra members regarding rehearsal expectations.
• Conduct the full orchestra from 6:20 to 8:15 on Tuesday evenings at the designated location as agreed upon by the Board of Trustees and the Conductor.
• Ensure attendance is completed at all rehearsals and be notified about absences.
• Select music appropriate for the performance level of the students for each orchestra concert with librarian and if purchasing music is necessary consult with the Board of Trustees.
• Coordinate with librarian regarding the arrangement and transposing of music for full orchestra, as needed.
• Communicate with the Board of Trustees for scheduling, planning, publicity and program information, percussion set-up, student availability, and personnel schedules.
• With MYO’s sectional coach(es) and the Board of Trustees, help to recruit new musicians and actively promote MYO to the local and regional communities with the objective of developing a strong and well-balanced orchestra.
• With the Board of Trustees, approve the selection of wind or strings coach before they are offered a contract.